Friday, January 28, 2011

Down, Down, Down She Goes

Here today.  Gone tomorrow.  Down, Down, Down she goes….
The Valley sweet with burning perfumes
Cloud of myrrh and aloes 
Up the glossy hills to call her down… .down
Leave her, He says, Let her go
The dazzling drink that dulls the eyes
A companion to the shamed
She who makes a bed in the paradise
Of wantings that promise a silky wrap of visible fame
Down, down to buy yourself a blessing
To retain free gifts at a price
The body moans and is spread with the fragrance
Burning sacrifice on the coals of a life
Down she goes and all lovers
Leave her, He says, Let her go
‘Til the wasteland of Admah has overcome the finery
Riches spoil and bodies grow old
Ah my materials!  Lavishly piling underfoot
Ah their grasping coils, how they billow, they cover me
Unclean
The windows are open, the curtains are sheer and 
All the dark fires are visible beneath
For shame to cover shame
For wealth to be rotting treasure, but surely today
It prizes her, when she is not down
Down, down, down

And Israel’s Divine Lover says, “I will return again to my place, until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face, and in their distress earnestly seek me,” Hosea 5:15.  He will let her go down, down to the pleasures of sin for a season… .until they are through with her… .until she pursues and is worn out.  “She shall pursue her lovers but not overtake them, and she shall seek them but shall not find them.  Then she shall say, ‘I will go and return to my first husband, for it was better for me then then now’,” Hosea 2:7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

  • Prayer Equals Peace - “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow w...
    6 years ago